Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Homemade Frozen Burritos




I have a husband who likes to eat things like frozen burritos and chicken nuggets for lunch. Who am I kidding, I love them too! Since we all know frozen burritos from the store carry approximately  0% nutritional value I went searching for something better. I saw some recipes here and there, then looked into my fridge and decided to just use what I had. I've made three batches of these now, each time just using things like leftover rice, beans, meat, salsa, and cheese. Each time they taste a little different and each time we love them! You can use any type of bean: refried, black, pinto, kidney are just a combination of what you have, and any type of meat: taco meat, fajita meat, pork or beef roast, you name it! The first time I made them I wrapped them individually in plastic wrap before freezing them. I haven't done it since, saves time and money and it's not necessary! I completely guessed on how much of each ingredient I threw into these burritos, and it honestly changes each time. Sometimes I fill up all 20 tortillas and sometimes I only have enough filling to get 17 or so.

These are perfect for a quick lunch, snack, or dinner!

Homemade Frozen Burritos
All ingredients listed are "optional" and can be substituted for anything you want!

20 tortillas
1-2 cups of cooked rice, any flavor
About 2 cups of beans
About 1/2-1 lb of meat
1/2 cup of cheese
1/2 cup of salsa

Throw all of the above into a big bowl and combine it together. I learned this quickly after the first time (pictured) where I spent way to long evenly distributing each ingredient. Lay your tortillas out 10 at a time or all at once, depending on how much (clean) counter space you have and load them up! Fold them at the top and bottom and then roll them like...a burrito. Stash them in the tortilla bag they came in or in a gallon sized freezer bag and freeze. To eat- microwave them about 2 minutes, depending on your microwave and enjoy!


All loaded up



Folded top and bottom


Rolled like a burrito


It's not necessary to wrap in saran wrap but you can if you want!

With Love,
Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment