Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie

Hot from the oven...it's making me hungry again!
In our house we LOVE chicken pot pie. I have been making this recipe for probably 2 years now and it has never failed me. We always love it!

Chicken Pot Pie adapted from Allrecipes

1 lb boneless skinless chicken
1 1/4 cup frozen green peas
1 1/4 cup sliced carrots
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1 3/4 cups chicken broth (don't buy it, use the water from boiling your chicken)
1 chicken bullion cube (if you used the water from your chicken)
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon McCormick Perfect Pinch Original Chicken (see pic below)
2/3 cup milk

2 unbaked pie crusts

Start by making your pie crusts or setting out your frozen store bought pie crusts to thaw.

Fill a large pot with water and boil your chicken and carrots together until both are done. About 15 minutes, but I usually forget about it and it goes for a little longer. Toss your frozen peas in for the last 3 minutes or so.

Using a strainer pour the water from boiling your chicken into a big glass measuring cup until you get to 1 3/4 cups, then toss the rest out or save it for another meal. Throw your one bullion cube into the bowl.

Chop your chicken into small chunks and set your chicken, carrots and peas aside.

In the same pot melt your butter and throw your onions in to sautee over medium heat. I like to cook my onions well because we do NOT like crunchy onions in this house! Once they are to your liking add the flour and seasonings. Whisk until you have a nice paste then slowly whisk in your chicken broth (don't worry, your bullion cube will not be completely dissolved, it's fine, it will happen). Using a whisk will to make sure you don't get clumpy flour balls. Now add your milk by the same method.

Start preheating your oven to 425 degrees (no reason to waste energy by preheating it too early).

Cook this over medium heat until thick. If you don't get it thick enough your pie won't set up quite right. Probably cook it for 10 minutes or so, but it will vary so I can't give an exact time. I've had to cook it as long as 20 minutes before to get it right.

Now dump your veggies and chicken into the liquid mixture and stir a couple of times. TASTE and adjust seasonings to your liking. I don't measure usually I just shake in a little more of everything until it's perfect.

If you haven't already go line your pie plate with your bottom pie crust, then pour the chicken mixture into the pie crust. Top with your second pie crust and make sure to cut a few slits on the top to let out steam.

Bake in the oven at 425 degrees for about 35-40 minutes. You want your crust to be golden brown and your pie to smell heavenly! Let your pie cool for 10-15 minutes before you cut and serve!

The beauty of this recipe is that you can change the seasonings and veggies to your individual taste! I used these seasoning because that is what I have in MY kitchen, if you don't have the same ones experiment with substitutions! Ultimately you want a savory chicken flavor that your family will love!




My new favorite seasoning. Try it!


  •  

3 comments:

  1. I just stopped by to check out your family blog and saw this other blog! Yay!! I LOVE it. I can't wait to keep checking in on you. I love the combination of tips and recipes. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw your post about your new blog on facebook and wanted to check it out. I have now bookmarked it to my blog so I can come and check out your yummy recipes and tips all the time now. :) You have made some great things Lindsey! Look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is an old post but I I made this a few weeks ago and um, WOW! We totally loved it and I am making it again this week! Thank you for your yummy recipes!! :)

    ReplyDelete